Opus Online: Rave, Rant and Review

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

CLASH OF THE TITANS: CGI versus GREAT SCRIPT

This is a very touchy one for me, so forgive me if I let out some steam, “aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!!!”

Okay, I’m much better now. My question is….. why, why in Christendom did they embark on this project in the first place? Were they bored or was this some elaborate attempt at a joke?

Let me start with the original Clash of the Titans (1981). Now that was a movie! Okay, the special effects back then weren’t exactly Jurassic Park (1993) standard, but what did you expect in the 80s, C.G.I? But you’ve got to give it to the classic; it had a lot of points. It had a good story, interesting characters (I like the stygian witches), and who didn’t like Calibos a demon-looking ill tempered beast with a pitch-fork for a right hand? There were the magical creatures like Bubo (the golden owl), Pegasus (the white winged horse), and Medusa…the woman whose looks could kill……Literally! And of course, the ever so grouchy, giant sea beast with a propensity to destroy cities on a bad day (the Kraken).The story had giant scorpions, amazing battle scenes, giant vultures, gods, magic helmets swords and cloaks. This was a good movie.
calibos 1981
courtesy of skxe4dq

I was looking forward to the new Clash of the Titans (2010) when it hit cinemas on that fateful day. So, I left the office early that day .Told my boss I wasn’t feeling so good (C’mon, this was Clash of the Titans, such movies came along once in a life time). I made a mad dash for the cinema. The movie was premiering that evening and I wanted to be one of the first to see it. Oh! Did I mention Sam Worthington (Avatar) is in the lead as Perseus in the movie? I had seen the movie trailer and it was gooooooooooooooood! In hindsight, I ask myself, why was I sooooooo gullible? Maybe it was a weird form of hypnosis. After I saw that movie, I didn’t know why I had wanted to see it so desperately in the first place.
calibus 2010
courtesy of Aceshowbiz

I felt robbed after that movie, what were they thinking? It was nothing like the original (and I don’t mean that in a good way) the only thing it had over the original was special effects. Why, why?!

Sam Worthington was completely wasted in the movie. For an actor of his calibre this was a waste of his………..presence! The movie lacked depth, the characters were not well defined. One got the impression the producers were in a hurry to get to the action sequences as if to say, “……the audience doesn’t have to get it, as long as they see some special effects!”

I especially loved the scene with the Stygian witches in the old version. Why? DIALOGUE! DIALOGUE! There was none in this new version. The story seemed like a sh@$ty version of the original. If I had not seen the original, I’d say this one was … a five on a scale of one to ten (and I’m being generous). Some characters could have been better defined and less flattened. Take Calibos for instance we could have used a little bit more information bout his past. We know from the original that he was cursed by Zeus and is hell-bent on stopping Perseus. So if that’s the case, why are we told the same thing in the new story? The plot was a little cheesy at times. I think it was a little weird that Gemma Atherton’s (Prince of Persia: Sands of Time) character, Io, is brought back to life by Zeus at the end. And I think the Medusa in the original was truer to life and gratifyingly more impressive.

All in all, despite the presence of Liam Neeson (Taken) and Ralph Fiennes (Harry Potter), as Zeus and Hades respectively, save your pop-corn. You're better off seeing the original for the Hundredth time. JAH BLESS.

No comments:

Post a Comment